Despite the name, lip piercings generally don’t go through the lip at all, but rather through the skin above or below the lip. There are many styles of lip piercings, the most popular being the traditional lip piercing which is right underneath the bottom lip on either side. The labret is fairly common as well and is usually a stud centered just under the bottom lip, or the vertical labret, which goes through the lip and can have a stud at the top and bottom of the lip or be worn as a ring through the piercing.
Besides the popular labret, there are:
– Snake bites, which are two lip piercings, one on the left and one on the right side of the lower lip. Labret piercings on the left and right of the upper lip are called angel bites.
– Spider bites, which are two labret piercings placed next to each other on the left or right side of the lower lip.
– Dolphin bites, two labret piercings placed next to each other on the center of the lip.
– Medusa piercings, a stud placed through the philtrum (the groove in the center of the upper lip)
– Monroe piercings (sometimes called Crawford or Madonna piercings), a horizontal piercing placed on the left or right side of the upper lip, meant to emulate the facial mole of the celebrity the piercing is named after.
Lip piercings are both oral and facial piercings, so the healing time is similar to that of a tongue piercing, generally between 6-8 weeks. Monroe or Medusa piercings can take a little longer to heal, sometimes up to three months. Healing times depend on how healthy and diligent you are with oral and piercing care.
Like a tongue piercing, your ability to eat and drink should be virtually unchanged after a lip piercing, although it’s recommended to stay away from spicy foods, hot drinks, and alcohol, which can irritate the piercing site. Abstain from smoking and deep kissing to avoid bacteria and infection. Your normal dental health routine should be unchanged, but stay away from alcohol-based mouthwash, and use a warm salt water solution to rinse your mouth out. Your piercer will have more specific aftercare tips based on the piercing you get.
Monroe piercings are a popular and subtle piercing, which can be made even more so by using a flat, black stud to more resemble a mole. Angel bites, the upper lip version of snake bites, have increased in popularity recently. Because of their sometimes-audacious looks, lip piercings can be found on many musicians, including Travis Barker of Blink-182, who has a vertical labret piercing.
Contact us about getting your lip pierced at any of our Almost Famous Body Piercing locations. You can check out several lip piercing pictures in our gallery to get some ideas for piercing jewelry and piercing placement. Keep in mind that your specific anatomy will be the deciding factor in placement of the piercing. Our staff is happy to answer any questions you may have about the piercing process. We do piercings on a walk-in only basis, so stop by at your convenience, at the location of your choice, to get your new piercing.