Dahlia piercings are sometimes confused with cheek piercings because they are so close. It is a piercing located at one or both of the mouth’s outer corners. The piercing enters through the outside of the corner of the mouth and exits on the inside.
Often, people are interested in dahlia piercings for their slightly mysterious, playful appearance and unique positioning.
The process for a dahlia piercing is one that should only be completed by a professional piercer and is typically only available at certain piercing shops. First, the piercing areas are cleaned thoroughly.
Then, the piercer will mark two spots on either side of your mouth and make sure that they’re symmetrical (or one, if you have selected a single dahlia piercing). Using a sterilized needle, the piercer does the piercing in the designated spots, inserting a labret stud or barbell into each.
Like all body piercings, the dahlia piercings’ pain level depends considerably on your personal pain threshold. However, many people consider this a mid-level piercing in terms of pain, putting it within relatively comfortable reach for almost anyone.
During the healing process, the piercing site(s) may be slightly sore, though the pain generally reduces quickly.
Healing time for dahlia piercings can be anywhere from 6 to 12 months. Because a standard dahlia piercing involves two separate sites, it’s not surprising that this piercing type takes slightly longer to heal than other lip piercings.
Moderate swelling and tenderness are to be expected during the early stages of recovery. As with most piercings, your healing experience and time will typically be improved by following the correct aftercare procedures.
Aftercare for a dahlia piercing is key in ensuring a properly healed, long-lasting piercing that you can enjoy for years to come. Here are a few essential things to keep in mind when preparing for the recovery process:
● Follow your piercer’s specific aftercare instructions.
● Do not touch or move the jewelry unnecessarily. Keep contact with the piercing area to a minimum, preferably only touching it during the cleaning process. Even after healing is complete, fiddling with your piercing too often can irritate the tissue and potentially cause later issues.
● Stick to good hygiene practices, including regularly washing bed linens, clothing, and other materials that come into contact with the piercing area.
● Rinse your mouth with warm saltwater after you eat or drink anything that isn’t bottled water.
● Avoid using lotions, creams, oils, and other skin products in the piercing area.
● Stay away from alcohol, spicy foods, smoking, and vaping during the healing process.
● Be very careful when brushing your teeth while the piercings are healing, so that you don’t accidentally bump the area with your toothbrush.
If a dahlia piercing seems like the perfect way to express your unique sense of style, the highly trained piercing artists at Almost Famous Body Piercing can bring your vision to life. Because dahlia piercings require specialized expertise and equipment, it’s crucial to choose a piercing shop you can trust.
At Almost Famous Body Piercing in Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, and Illinois, our piercers can deliver a safe, positive piercing experience. Plus, we offer an extensive selection of stylish body jewelry to choose from. Learn more about dahlia piercings by contacting Almost Famous Body Piercing or visiting one of our locations today.